STEP 1: Download and read your Candidate Handbook.
STEP 2: Create an Account with PCS if you do not already have one. You will receive an email from PCS once you have successfully created your account.
STEP 3: Complete online Application and pay for your Exams (after you log in). PCS accepts Discover, Mastercard, and Visa.
- For Barber and Cosmetology related professions, click here. ***YOU MUST TAKE AND PASS ALL REQUIRED EXAMS WITHIN 12 MONTHS FROM YOUR GRADUATION DATE. ! All fees are non-refundable.
- For Body Art related professions, click here.
Candidates are especially encouraged to carefully review licensing requirements for testing PRIOR to completing an online application with PCS. If testing is not required, fees are non-refundable.
STEP 4: Once the online application has been completed (payment has been made), the coordinator will receive notification. PCS will review your application within three business days and enter any requirements which may be pending (i.e. Official Transcript).
If you require special accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you must submit a Special Accommodations Request Form along with supporting medical documentation to PCS.
STEP 5: Upload all required documents to your account home page. If PCS receives an application or a required document that is incomplete or completed incorrectly, PCS will notify you via e-mail and your file will remain pending until all necessary information has been received.
- Once the Board reviews your COMPLETED application, PCS will be notified that you qualify for the exam.
- If the Board determines that you do not qualify for the examination or more information is required, PCS will notify you by e-mail.
STEP 6: Once your application has been approved, you will receive an email from PCS.
- If you are taking the theory (written) examination, PCS will email you an Authorization to Test letter that contains instructions for scheduling your examination with PSI.
- If you are taking the practical examination, PCS will email you an admission notice no later than 7 business days prior to your scheduled examination. You must take the Admission Notice with you to the exam site.
STEP 7: Take your examinations on the dates and times as scheduled.
STEP 8: After your theory examination, you will receive an unofficial score notice immediately following your test.
STEP 9: Within 10 business days from the date of your practical and theory examination, PCS will email your official results to you.
- If you fail an examination, instructions for reapplying will be provided on your score notice.
- Once all required examination(s) have been passed, you will receive a Notice of Completion. You must contact the state once you receive your Notice of Completion to receive your license.